Yesterday, while on a binge Target shopping trip, I was looking at the swim suits and trying to decide which one would look the least awful on me (I like chocolate, okay?), when I noticed the most adorable “Livin’ That Pug Life” graphic tee. I instantly thought of my fur baby, Sophie. I got Sophie almost one year ago as a newborn pup and was so excited to have a loving, sweet, and calm new best friend. BOY, was I wrong. If having your first dog is like having a baby.. I ended up with the equivalent of extremely hyper and needy triplets. Most of the time between gritted teeth and chasing after her, with what my mom and I like to call ‘the whoopin’ stick’, (a cardboard paper towel roll), It dawns on me that having her is the best form of birth control known to man kind.
By the way, in case anyone was wondering… we’ve never successfully used ‘the whoopin’ stick’. Sophie either runs away too quickly or merely tries to eat it in the act. I should have known that Sophie’s birthday being Cinco De Mayo meant she was fiesty.
Anyways, back to Target. As i’m standing there looking at this t-shirt a warm fuzzy feeling comes over me and I realize that even though most of the time shes being completely ornery, I really do love my little spitfire (she might get some of that from here mama). Later, an even more mind-boggling thought comes to mind.. what if we all acted like pugs? Of course this idea is absolutely crazy but maybe there’s something we could all learn from pugs. These are my 5 reasons why pugs are the best:
- They love deeply. Nothing makes a pug happier than love and affection from a human, or even a dog best friend (a French Bulldog). Can you imagine if we all loved others that much?
- They have an abundance of energy. This might just be during the ‘puppy phase’.. but sheesh, I would love to be able to run around that much.
- They aren’t ashamed to eat in front of others. This one might be a bit of an understatement. If you’ve ever seen a pug eat.. you know what I mean.
- They can cheer anyone up. I’m almost certain that the best medicine for a bad day is watching a pug chase its curly tail.
- They are dedicated companions. Whether you’re in the shower, on the toilet, at the kitchen table.. you can bet that you’re pug will be right next to you every step of the way.
Oh, and in case anyone was curious what my little bundle of joy looks like, here is Ms.Sophie Lane: